Friday, March 1, 2013

2013 WBC Predictions

Just hours away from the WBC kickoff featuring Chinese Taipei and Austrailia in Taiwan.  I've been looking forward to the WBC for a while, and I'm really hoping for a good showing from the USA.  I'm also hoping for another Japan vs. USA matchup with a USA win to restore some of the bragging rights in my household.  Based on how the bracket sets up both the U.S. and Japan would have to make it to the final four to enable them to face off, and I'm not sure either team has what it takes to make it that far.  The field in general seems a little less talented than in 2009 with a lot of stars choosing not to play, but a lot of good players will still be there and because it's early in the year and guys won't be in mid-season form the tournament should be fairly unpredictable as it was in 2009.

In the spirit of the upcoming NCAA March Madness basketball tournament, here's my WBC bracket:

Advancing from Pool A: Japan & Cuba (to Pool 1)
Advancing from Pool B: Korea & Chinese Taipei (to Pool 1)
Advancing from Pool C: D.R. & Venezuela (to Pool 2)
Advancing from Pool D: USA & Mexico (to Pool 2)

Advancing from Pool 1: Cuba & Korea
Advancing from Pool 2: Venezuela & USA

Championship Game: Venezuela vs. Korea
WBC CHAMPION: VENEZUELA

Update: Wow, I could not have done much worse, about the only thing I predicted right is that it would be unpredictable.



No comments: